On one morning near the beginning of the New Year, Miller’s Custom Cabinets owner, Daniel Miller received an unwelcome call from one of his employees that his brand new fleet truck was gone.
His employee said the truck was stolen after they had stopped real quick at QuikTrip on 291 in Independence.
Miller said he called the police immediately after and then looked at his GPS tracking technology which all the fleet trucks are installed with them.
Thanks to his GPS tracker, Miller was able to give the police his truck’s location where the officers blew the tires out on I-435 with stop sticks before it came to a stop near 23rd Street in some woods.
The entire fiasco was over in mere minutes between the help of his tracking system and the Independence police. Miller stated that it only took the police around 5 minutes to track the thief and around 15 minutes from the time the thief stole the truck until they had him stopped, thanks to the GPS tracker.
His truck, however, did have some damage from the woods and trees, but he hopes to have it ready to drive again in the next 2 weeks.
How GPS Tracking Helps
These days, car thieves have ways of bypassing and disarming just about any type of car alarm device out there. The best way for you to protect and secure your car is to install a GPS tracking monitoring unit it in to help you recover it in the event it does get stolen.
Since the thief could strip your car for parts or damage it, timing is important. GPS tracking systems enable you to locate your stolen car within minutes allowing police to capture and arrest the thief and return your car to you before any damage is done.
Being able to get real-time data on the location of your vehicle with just a couple clicks of the mouse gives you a huge advantage over any car thief. If your vehicle has been stolen, GPS tracking will give you live streaming updates that will allow you to pinpoint the exact location of the thief and turn this information over to the police. This means a quicker recovery of your vehicle.
If you’re a craftsman, your tools are the bread and butter of your work. It’s likely that you’ve spent significant amounts of money on the tools in your toolkit, so you’ve always got the right equipment to hand no matter the job. Even if you’re more of a DIY hobbyist, you’d be lost without your tools when you’ve an important job to do around the home.
Tools such as Snap-on spanners, Craftsman professional tool sets, power tools, and toolboxes are expensive, and thieves know exactly what brands they’re looking for when it comes to taking what isn’t theirs.
In this article, we look at 10 tips to prevent your tools being stolen, as well as how to recover them if the worst happens.
To minimize the risk of your tools being taken, there are several steps you can take, for example:
- Keep your tools locked away. Whenever you’re away from your gear, keep it locked in a sturdy and secure tool box. Remember that the larger and heavier the box, the less likely it is to be stolen by an opportunist.
- Permanently mark your equipment. It’s possible to buy stamps that permanently mark your tools with a specific word or pattern. You can also engrave your tools so if they’re taken by accident or otherwise, you can easily identify what’s yours.
- Paint your tools. By painting your tools an unusual or bright color, you can easily identify them if they wander off.
- Keep a close eye on your tools. OK, so it’s not practical to watch over your equipment 24 hours a day. However, if you’re going to lunch or are leaving your tools for some time, put them away in advance.
- Use a GPS tracking device. It’s likely you’ve spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on your tools. If you’ve a particularly expensive tool such as a mig welder or a cordless drywall gun, fitting it with a hidden GPS tracking device ensures you can locate it in the event of a theft. It’s also a good idea to hide a GPS device within your toolbox.
- Fit an alarm. For bigger tools that are usually kept chained up or for tool boxes, you can add inexpensive alarm systems to further ensure their security.
If someone has taken your equipment, either on purpose or accidentally, you need to be able to identify them so you can recover them. The following steps can be a significant help under these circumstances:
- Purchase insurance. Particularly if your tools are valuable and manufactured by a premium brand, it’s crucial to have a robust personal property insurance policy to help you keep working if the worst happens.
- Keep a note of valuable data. Expensive major tools, like air tools and power tools often have a serial number printed on them. Take a note of these and keep them safe. For smaller yet important tools, consider engraving or punching identifiable information on the handles.
- File a police report. Always keep an inventory of your tools, so you’re aware of everything of value in your tool box. If you’re belongings are taken, make a list of everything, as well as their serial numbers. If you spot your tools for sale, you can backup your claim with the police report.
- Don’t keep the cycle going by buying cheap stolen tools. If you hear of someone selling expensive tools on the cheap, avoid buying them so the cycle is broken.
Decent tools require a significant outlay to purchase. Remember to keep some money aside in your budget to keep them secure.
GPS tracking for motor homes can make your traveled trails even happier by offering a wide range of protections and benefits worth considering. Motor homes are a luxurious way to move around the country when you’re traveling with your family. They allow you to travel from one place to another without having to pack up everything to get going. They also allow plenty of room for the family to spread out while traveling.
GPS tracking can help you make your travel plans even better in many ways, including these listed below.
Helps You Plan More Fuel-Efficient Routes
There’s really nothing better than a nice long road trip with family and friends. The memories you make along the way are well worth the price you’ll pay. That being said, there’s no rule that says you must pay a higher price to have those memories. Using GPS tracking can help you plan more fuel-efficient routes to your destination allowing you to save a great deal of money throughout your travels.
Provides You with Opportunities to Share Your Adventure
You can actually ping family and friends with your GPS tracking system to let them know where you are at a given time. This gives them a clear indication of where you are on your journey and helps them share some of the excitement of your travels. Things like pinging them from Old Faithful in Yellowstone Park, for instance, allows you to share in the excitement of your big adventure.
Shows You Exciting Places off the Beaten Path
GPS tracking can be used to help you identify lesser known tourist attractions you may be nearby while traveling. If fuel efficiency isn’t your primary concern – and making memories is – this is the only way to travel.
Think about it. If you’re driving along Route 66, there are all kinds of long-forgotten museums, showrooms, curiosity shops, and more to experience along the way. Without GPS tracking system letting you know where they are, you might miss out on these fun experiences with your family.
Aids in the Recovery of Stolen Motor Homes
Motor homes are an investment. Investments most people do not take lightly. Having a motor home stolen can sometimes feel like your hopes, dreams, and perhaps even your plans for retirement have been taken too. GPS tracking allows you to quickly notify the police of the precise location of your motor home so they have greater odds of recovering your motor home unharmed.
Little things like these can make a huge difference for your enjoyment of motor home living and travel. That’s why it’s so important to consider the potential value of GPS tracking for your motor home today.